ABOUT ANTIQUE MEDICAL INSTRUMENTS AND THE NATAN SCHLEIDER GALLERY & COLLECTION
- ABOUT ANTIQUE MEDICAL INSTRUMENTS AND NATAN SCHLEIDER GALLERY, LLC
- Natan Schleider, M.D. began collecting vintage doctor bags when he started his medical practice, New York House Call Physicians, in 2005. To current date, Dr. Schleider continues practicing medicine in New York City and loves practicing medicine and is all about antique medical instruements.
Now, about antique medical instruments…
Natan Schleider Gallery, L.L.C. was formed in 2011 as Dr. Schleider began to collect, buy, sell, trade, and restore other medical and scientific antiques: apothecary, antiquarian books, medical, surgical, and other antiquities related to medicine.
“I made every mistake in the book,” says Dr. Schleider, “I way overpaid on the wrong, often broken items, and only bought items that displayed well. I spent nearly $2,000.00 on a broken Camman stethoscope and was exhilarated to own one, having searched for one since 2008. I sold that stethoscope a few years later for $300.”
The Natan Schleider Gallery, L.L.C., serves primarily to display the collection of Natan Schleider, M.D., educate the public on the history of medicine through antiquities, serving as a platform for other collectors who are interested in buying, collecting, selling, restoring, and preserving medical antiques.
“My goal in collecting medical antiques is to teach myself about my profession’s history, preserving and learning one item at a time,” says Dr. Schleider. “I find collecting relaxing, I definitely am no dealer.”
Please visit out home page to browse the collection www.antiquemedicalinstruments.com
OUR GOALS & OBJECTIVES
- NATAN SCHLEIDER GALLERY: WHAT IS IT ABOUT ANTIQUE MEDICAL INSTRUMENTS THAT THIS WEBSITE STRIVES FOR: KEEPING THE HISTORY OF MEDICAL ANTIQUES ACCURATE WHILE PRESERVING ANTIQUITIES FOR FUTURE GENERATIONS TO ENJOY.
- To stimulate and expand interest in the preservation of medical antiques.
- Expand the general and selective knowledge of ourselves and other collectors.
- Educate the public about pre-1900 medical antiques.
- Add selected sets and items to our personal collections.
- Aid in the preservation and identification of pre-1900 sets.
- Help collectors expand their sources of interest through multiple channels.
- Assist antique dealers and individuals to identify and evaluate rare or obscure sets.
- Prevent the loss of historical sets to closets.
- Establish fair and consistent values across the spectrum of collector.